Sunday, February 10, 2008

A Nice Little Getaway


Ava and I just got back from a great trip to Mesa, Arizona to visit my family. It was a busy week filled with food, family, fun, and more food. We ate so much I think I have enough to last me through the winter. There are just so many great restaurants there, especially mexican restaurants and we had to make sure to hit up the In-n-Out Burger, Yum Yum! It was so great to spend time with my mom and dad and little brother. It was also great to spend time with a lot of my extended family as well. Thanks to everyone for putting up with us while we were there.

One of the neatest things we were able to do while we were there was to go to lunch with my great grandmother, Mama G. She is 93 years old and still going strong. After lunch we were able to take some five generation pictures with her. The first one has my dad in it because this is his side of the family, but the second one has my mom in it showing Ava with her mom, grandma, great grandma, and great great grandma. I was pretty excited to get these pictures. We were able to stay a while and listen to her tell stories of when she was younger. She is one of the best storytellers and so much fun to listen to. I grew up listening to the most entertaining stories from her.

We were also able to take some other family pictures with Ava with her Nana Sue, Uncle Wade, and grandma and papa.



But my favorite picture was...




Look at that face!

Papa was making her really mad.

It was fun to watch her interact with Grandma and Papa, she really loved my dad's facial hair.

It is always tradition to head to the Sugar Bowl in Scottsdale. We have been doing this since I was a little kid. This was Ava's first trip to the Sugar Bowl. She didn't love the icecream, but she sure did love the whipped cream on top. Normally we get something called a Top Hat, which is a big cream puff with ice cream, whipped cream and hot fudge, but I decided to try to Brownie Buster. It was tasty, but I think next time it is back to the Top Hat for me.




One of the most delicious parts of the trip (besides the amazing mexican food) was the fresh picked oranges right of the tree in the yard. It was still pretty cold at night so when you picked the oranges off in the morning they were cold and delicious. How do you beat that!



We bathed Ava in the sink because the only tub in the house is a really deep one. She didn't want to be scrunched up in the sink so as soon as I would put her in she would pop those feet right up. It was pretty funny. Once those feet were up she didn't mind the confined space at all.





We had such a great time and were sad that it went by so quickly. Thanks to everyone for making the trip so much fun. It was so great to watch Ava interact with all of you. She was the best, most content baby the whole time, even though she was teething and developed a pretty bad cold. We were relieved to get back home to Josh and I think he was happy to have us.

This morning we ran Ava to the Urgent Care because her cough sounded horrible. The doctor said it was nothing more than this horrible cold that is going around, so I guess we just let it run its course. Fortunately, she has been really happy through it all and she is catching back up on her sleep after taking almost no naps and sleeping horribly during the night while we were away.

We can't wait to come back and visit soon. Until then keep checking here to see Ava and she grows and grows.

Love you all!

4 comments:

Pam from Over the Big Moon said...

Oh Lindze little Ava honestly gets cuter and cuter every single day. She is so adorable. I can't wait to see her again! Little Nathan can't wait to meet her! hehe :) If we can't see you guys before then you for sure have to come down at the end of the summer to meet the little guy! We miss you guys!

The Grantham Family said...

Looks like the trip was a success! You got some great pictures and what a neat thing to have a picture of the 5 generations. I can't believe that Ava is already 7 months....you know that if you round it up she is closer to a one year old than a newborn. Dang. Time to think about baby #2!!!

Lesley said...

What a great trip. You are so lucky to have those five generation pictures. There aren't many people who can say they do!

Hess Family said...

I love the sink picture!!! I just busted up laughing. She is a special little girl to have that many grandmas.