Thursday, June 25, 2009

Feeding Group Graduate

Ava has been going to a group once a week for over a year now to help her learn how to eat. When we first started going, Ava wouldn't touch food at all and would not eat much more than baby food. Today was her last feeding group. She now eats just about anything and with her own hands. Today was a bittersweet day for me. Ava has loved going to this group and loves the kids and therapists she plays with every week. However, I am so relieved that we no longer need this service. The majority of the kids in this group all have feeding tubes because they have such extreme food aversions. Often times they are still not consistent eaters by the time they turn three and have to leave the program because of age. The first part of the group is play time. There was so many fun things that Ava loved to do. Her favorite was the ball pit, but over time she grew to love being thrown around in the large balloon.



The second part of the group is the feeding time. The kids sit around a little table and play with/eat different foods. There are never any expectations placed on the kids so they feel very comfortable with the food. It was amazing to watch many of the kids in Ava's group go from totally non-eaters to eaters.


The group ends with the kids sitting in a circle and singing a bye bye song. Ava loved this part and tries to initiate the song at home all the time.


These two women are angels in our eyes. Amy and Joan are the therapists that hold the group every Thursday. The patience and love they showed to Ava was priceless.
Luckily, we get to keep seeing Amy every other week for Ava's therapy sessions as well as at Tumble Time every week. We love them!

2 comments:

WendyMcD said...

Even though I haven't met these angel ladies, I love them for helping Ava, and being so good to you guys. Ava is SOOO precious, and I LOVE these pictures you have of her on this site!!! This helps me not feel so bad for living so far away, and not being able to see her, or you guys very much. Lindsey, I am SO glad you have SUCH great parents who are the kind of grandparents to your kid(s)that Josh and I had growing up. I am SO excited for your new arrival, but I am sorry you have been sick!!! Did you go through this kind of sickness when you were pregnant with Ava? And is it still too early to know if it is a boy or a girl yet? I am SO proud of you, and especially of my brother Josh. He is a GREAT husband, father, and provider for his family. I feel the same way about you, for being a GREAT wife to Josh, a GREAT mother to Ava, and a GREAT provider and home maker. Your house is BEAUTIFUL!!! I hope to be where you guys are someday, and to know that kind of happiness. Well, love you guys, and thanks for creating SUCH a great web site for all of us to share your lives with all of us to enjoy. Love you, Wendy

WendyMcD said...

Lindsey, this site is SO dang adorable!!! I love there two ladies for helping Ava, and being SO good to you guys. *sniff.* Ava is SUCH a diva already!! I LOVE that little shrug of the shoulders she does when she dances. Too cute!!! I am SO glad you have such GREAT parents who are the kind of grandparents to your kid(s) that Josh and I had growing up. I am SO proud of you guys; for Josh for being SUCH a GREAT husband, father, and provider for his family. And for you for being SUCH a great wife to my brother, a GREAT mother to your kid(s) and for being SUCH a GREAT homemaker. Your house is BEAUTIFUL!!! I hope to one day know this kind of happiness with my own family someday (I am hoping!!!) Thanks for sharing your lives with us through this beautiful web site. Love you, Wendy